Wednesday 3 December 2014

Christmas Countdown - 22 days to go..

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas, so it's time to get the decorations out of the boxes and start decorating. Every year around this month, for the past 5 years, I begin to miss my country and our Christmas traditions. In the Philippines, we start the Christmas season as early as September.  I remember listening to 'Pasko Na Sinta Ko' ( Its Christmas My Love) and Christmas in Our Hearts midnight of the 1st of September and thinking, Christmas is near. Pasko (Christmas) is a big thing in the Philippines, we decorate early, we have Simbang Gabi/Misa de Gallo (Midnight Mass/Rooster's Mass), we even have a Giant Lantern Festival in my province to make our celebration more festive.

  


Now that I'm 10,869 km away from home, I have to start making my own Christmas traditions to help me ease my longing for home.  First things first, SHOPPING then WRAPPING. I never knew that shopping could be so stressful because back home, there's really no need for shopping as the tradition is for kids to go house to house (relatives/ neighbours/ godparents) and pay their Respect by 'Pagmamano'.  Children would take the back of an elder's hand and presses it against the forehead, while giving the greeting, Máno, pô (lit. "[Thy] hand, please"). The elder often responds by reciting a blessing or simply acknowledging the gesture, and in return gives "Aguinaldo" or money in the form of crisp banknotes, often placed in a sealed envelope such as an ang paoGodparents in particular are socially obligated to give presents or aguinaldo to their godchildren, to whom they often give larger amounts compared to other younger relatives. You might be thinking, kids, christmas and no presents? It's not that bad, kids have more money than adults and families usually go to the mall and let the kids spend their hard earned money. Anyway, I did some shopping and wrapping but I still need a few more items which I will get on payday. What do you give someone who has, almost, everything?  So stressful. 





Second, Christmas decorations. I really found it difficult to look for decorations that's pretty and inexpensive.  Last year, I made my own wreath. This year, I'm taking it a bit further by Hand stitching every bauble that would go up my tree.  I found it easier to work with felt and the results are amazing.  What do you guys think? Good enough?

                             

I sure do miss Christmas in the Philippines but I think what makes Christmas very special is when you're with people you love.  Someone told me that Christmas is not a season - it's a feeling.  Are you ready for Christmas 2014?

5 comments:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster award for blogs with under 200 followers! FInd out more at http://peachesandteas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/liebster-award-get-to-know-me.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR TREE!!! 😄😊😄 Where did you get it? Loving the hand stitched ornaments too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got the tree from a stall in the Ideal Home Christmas at Earls Court for £20. The ornaments took me ages because I wanted them to be perfect but I think I did well considering it's my first time making ornaments.

      Delete
  3. A fellow Filipina!? I remember when I was little, I would "Bless" my tita's and tito's hands.
    Thank you so much for your follow on Bloglovin!
    I followed you back!
    I love your content! Keep it up!
    Good luck!
    Samantha @ livinonbrightside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinay na pinay.. Born and raised in Pampanga. Thank you for the follow back and I hope you do well in your studies... Ingat..xx

      Delete